Hey guys! This is my firs installment in a three part series showing you step-by-step on how to create a website from scratch using Godaddy and WordPress. Today we’re going to go over the first steps in the process and that is purchasing web hosting and domain name on Godaddy. Please note that there are many online hosting providers, I am just using Godaddy for it it is the one most people will be familiar with. But if you have a preference for another provider, please feel free to use it. The steps should be the generally the same.
Don’t Forget About Web Hosting Costs When Preparing a Budget for Your Website
Before we get started I want to debunk a common misconception when people want to start a website. A lot people think that simply purchasing a domain name is enough to create a website. While a domain name is fairly inexpensive ($12/year for most domains). Purchasing Web Hosting is an additional monthly expense that many people don’t consider prior to starting a site. There are also various other fees associated with websites, that I’ll go over as we go through this series.
The 3 Components of a Website
Computers communicate by using numbers, called IP addresses, to contact each other, much like you use a phone number to dial a specific person’s phone. Domain names on the internet are much like entries in a phone book. The phone book tells people looking for a business what the entries are just as a domain tells people (i.e. their computers) that a domain is hosted on the server.
Without a domain you would not be able to use a domain name such as mywebsite.com, making your site appear unprofessional and impractical if your visitors are able to load it at all. Keep in mind that you don’t actually own a domain name when you register one. You are basically leasing it for a duration (typically a year). You have to renew each year to keep the domain name pointing to the ip address of your site.
Web hosting is a service that allows you to post a website or web page onto the Internet. A web host, or web hosting service provider like Godady, is a business that provides the technologies and services needed for the website or webpage to be viewed in the Internet. Websites are a series of files all connected together to display the pages you see when you visit a URL on the internet. Those files need to be stored on special computers called servers.
When Internet users want to view your website, all they need to do is type your website address or domain into their browser. Their computer will then connect to your server and your webpages will be delivered to them through the browser.
The site files are what your visitors actually see when going to your site such as your blog and products/services. The site files are the same as any other file you normally use, like a .png photograph, or .mp3 music file. But, website files are also .php files or .html files, which are PHP scripts or html pages respectively. These are a coding language to help organize the information of the site files so that the browser can pull up your site with the appropriate content and images.
The web-hosting server knows how to read these files, which explain how the webpage looks or instruct the server to do a series of computations. These computations are things like figuring out what blog article it’s supposed to send back to the viewer, or what forum post it’s supposed to send back.
Let’s Start Purchasing Web Hosting and Your Domain Name!
- Visit to www.godaddy.com
- Navigate to the Web Hosting section
- There will be several options. I suggest purchasing the Deluxe Hosting package so that you can host several sites on the account.
- Once you have added the hosting package to your cart, proceed with the checkout process
- Some upsells will be presented like website backup and an SSL certificate. You can skip those options for now as I will cover those options later on, but they are not 100% needed to start.
- As you advance in the checkout process you’ll see that Godaddy offers a free domain name when you purchase a web hosting account
- Search for a domain name of you choice
- Try to find a domain that ends in “.com”. It is the most recognizable domain extension and provides more authenticity to your site.
- Once you have selected your domain, you will be directed to the purchase page. Please note that by default Godaddy sets your web hosting subscription to 36 months. You can click on it and select the amount of time you feel comfortable paying at the moment. Remember you will always need a hosting account so it will make sense to get the cost savings by purchasing for a longer period of time.
- Once your options have been configured to your preferred cost. Sign in or create an account and finalize your purchase
Presto! You’re Ready to Start Building Your Website!
Now you have finished purchasing web hosting and a domain name, which are the building blocks of a website. In the next episode I will go over how to install WordPress and select a theme for your website. Also, I have covered how you can purchase a domain name on Godaddy and avoid unnecessary fees . So go check that post out for a little more insight on avoiding extra expenses for you site.
Have any questions? Leave them in the comment section below!