We are now on episode 2 of 3. Today I am going to go over installing WordPress on Godaddy and select a theme for your WordPress site.
What is WordPress?
- WordPress is a highly flexible Content Management System (CMS) that allows you to customize and publish your website all through your web browser
- It is one the internet’s most popular web publishing systems, with over 30% of websites being built with WordPress
- It’s open source, meaning hundreds of volunteers around the world are constantly improving the source code of WordPress.
- There are thousands of plugins built for the system that enable many functionalities like image galleries, pop up screens,
- It’s very easy to learn and it is constantly being updated to fit the ever changing web standards
How to Install WordPress On Godaddy
- Log in to your GoDaddy account.
- Click Web Hosting.
- Next to the hosting account you want to use, click Manage.
- Under Options & Settings in the Popular Apps section, click WordPress.
- Click the Install button.
- Complete the on-screen fields, and then click OK:
- Domain — Select the domain on your account you want to use.
- Directory — Enter the directory after the domain name where you want to install WordPress. If you want the domain name itself to use WordPress, the directory field should be left blank.
- Enter an Admin Name, an Admin Password (and its confirmation), an Email Address and the Blog Title.
WordPress will be installed to your hosting account with the options you selected within 24 hours. When it’s complete, you’ll receive a confirmation email.
Selecting a Theme for WordPress
- A WordPress Theme is a collection of files that work together to produce the look and feel of the website without changing or effecting the core files of the wordpress site.
- In essence, it makes things easier for beginners to have a professionally designed website complete with many functionalities without having to understand HTML or PHP
- You can select a free theme that comes with normal wordpress install or you can browse the internet and find a theme you can purchase
- Typically free themes have limited functionalities and purchasing a theme is a better route
- IT’s very important that you purchase a theme from a trusted source
- There are many developers out there that will create a theme file, but if they are not constantly updated to match the updated code on WordPress, you could end up with a broken theme and it will require a lot of extra work to rebuild the site
- So I always suggest selecting themes through sites like Theme Forest and filtering the options by their star rating and quantity of downloads (similar to how you would shop on Amazon)
What you want to see is that a theme has been purchased and reviewed by many people and that none have noted bugs or issues with it
- When you have found a theme you like, you can add to cart and finish the purchasing process
I’m a Digital Marketer and Business Consultant. I write these blogs to help people like you make more money online. Check me out on social media for more tips and resources to help you with your online business.